worth seeing PDF Print E-mail

St. Jacob and St. Agnes church. Consecrated in 1198, it reached its present form in the years 1401 – 1430. This building, 71 meters high, is surrounded with 19 chapels located between buttresses. In its gothic interior 22 pillars support the ceiling. Numerous bishops’ tombstones deserve a mention, with the tombstone of Balthazar von Pronto being the greatest. The church burned down in 1945 and was rebuilt in the years 1947 – 58. Colloquially it is referred to as the cathedral. 

 

 Church bell tower (1474 – 1516). A tower 43 meters high. Build in likeness of the bell tower in Wroclaw by three consecutive bishops – Rüdesheim, Roth and Turzo. Never finished. Burnt in 1945. Renovated, it currently houses a treasury displaying masterworks of Nysa’s goldsmiths.

 

 St. Barbara church (1341). Was built up adjacent to the town walls. A hospital – shelter was run by it. Expanded in 1550 by bishop Balthazar. A wooden flag bearing the bishop’s crest can be seen on the roof. Since 1818 an Evangelical and Pentecostal temple.

 

 Former bishop court. Originally a castle standing since 1260. Rebuilt in 1459 and surrounded with court buildings. Torn down in 1842 and adapted for artillery workshops. The wall by the gate was marked according to water levels during floods that befell Nysa. A residential tower and defensive tower along with a fragment of wall still remain.

Bishop’s Palace (1729). A stately residence imitating one of the palaces in Rome. Seat of Wroclaw bishops until 1810. Later it became the location of a law court and land registry office. Presently it houses a museum.

 

 Virgin Marys’ Assumption church (1692). Built by the Jesuits in place of a medieval temple. Inside it is decorated in a distinct Jesuit style, sometimes called “Del Gesú”. The front is fitted with niches containing wooden figures of Jesuit saints. Under the Prussians this temple was changed to a fodder storehouse.

 

 “Carolinum” (1669 -1673). Former representative seat of the Jesuit fraternity. Its main founder was bishop Carl Ferinand Vasa. After the order was liquidated the building was made into a high school and remains so even presently. By the entrance is a beautiful baroque gate with the Vasa crest a sheaf.

 

 Tower by Wroclaw Gate (1350 and 1550). 33 meters high. Mannerist finial from 17th century.

Tower by Ziebice Gate (1488). 42 meters high. In 1922 a stone lion figurine, allegedly looted from Ziebice, was placed above the tower entrance.

 

 Triton’s Fountain (1700 – 1701). Imitates a Roman fountain by Lorenzo Bernini. Made of Slawniowice marble. One of the key historical monuments of the “Silesian Rome”.

Town Scales House (1604). The renaissance building for weight standards used in the town. Intentionally destroyed by the Red Army in 1945. Of its rich decorations only the statue of Justice and some polychromes remain. At the corner an artillery bullet from the Napoleonian siege in 1807 is built into the wall.

 
 St. Peter and Paul church belonged to the Fathers of the Holy Sepulcher. A masterpiece of baroque architecture with exquisite illusion frescos by the Schefler brothers. The cross on the ceiling appears to be hanging vertically regardless of the angle from which it is viewed a feat of illusionist painting. The beautiful interior bears depictions of Christ’s life and an imitation on His grave.  

 Town hall tower (1488 – 1499). One of the most beautiful medieval towers in Silesia. Originally 95 metres high. Destroyed in 1945. The present structure alludes to the historical and will be used as a view tower. The presently nonexistent town hall was built in the 16th  century. Since the second half of 18th century it was used as a Protestant garrison church and in the years 1885 – 1914 as an Old Catholic church, and later as a display hall.

 

 St. Anna Seminar (1654 – 1657). An early baroque Jesuit building with remarkable architectural rhythm. In the early years of the 19th century it housed a rifle factory for the Prussian army. Destroyed in 1945. After rebuilding became the Public Music School.

 

 Post building (1905). A beautiful building in historical style. The front bears many symbols: of vigilance the crane, of mystery the sphinx, of worldwide communication the globe shaking hands, of trade the god Hermes.

Town Park. Founded in the 19th  century after the stronghold was liquidated. Dikes, streams and waterlevel regulation devices are remains of fortress elements and the lost powder mill.

 

 The Beautiful Well – listed as one of the greatest gems of Nysa. Its intricate wrought-iron top was funded by the dwellers of Nysa in 1686.

 

Mother House of St. Elizabeth nuns  - built in 1863-65 thanks to blessed Maria Luiza Merkert  

House of Police Chief - Baroque building. Once a residence  of the Prussian police chief currently National Art Centre.

Our Lady of Sorrows Church. Brick neo Gothic church, once a property of the St. Arnold Janssen congregation, currently parish Societas Verbi Divini Church    

Church Square and Court building

Complex of Tenement houses – restored after World War II. They are great representation of the old buildings 

 Nysa Lake -  an artificial lake on the river Nysa Kłodzka with plenty of fish and sandy beaches. It provides excellent conditions for water sports. 

 

 
ight="1">') //-->