The Nysa region lies in the southwestern part of Opole Province.
The Nysa Commune has 217 square kilometres of area and 60 thousand inhabitants.
Long now as the Silesian Rome, Nysa attracts tourists with its rich old architecture and natural landscapes. It is also a great example of fortificated lowland cities. Approximately 50-60% of the modern fortifications from the early XIX century remain in place.
The Nysa Stronghold, blending structures of the new and old Prussian schools, was built and later developed in the years 1741-1888 with additional use of Italian and Dutch school bastions from the XVI and XVII in its central part. Schneider von Lindau designed Nysa’s oldest fortifications in 1596. These structures were under construction since the beginning of the XVII century, and later rebuilt in the period between 1643 and the early years of the XVIII century according to old Dutch school principles.
Nysa Stronghold structures take the space of 80 hectares and lies on land properties taking 230 hectares.
Presently remaining fortress structures include:
1) Remains of an XVIII-century fort, consisting of Fort Prussia with connecting ramparts, Bombardier Fort, Capuchin and Jerusalem Redoubts along with the inner Jerusalem ramparts.
2) The high ramparts with partly destroyed Grodkowski Bastion, outer Jerusalem ramparts with the High Redan, High Battery and Rabbit Redoubt.
3) Complexes of advanced Forts (I, II, III), Fort by the Bielawka river (Water Fort) and the New Shooting Stand.
4) Flood Banks with the Cardinal Redoubt.
5) Railway Ramparts (New Prussian bastion shape).
Nysa’s fortifications are more than just history, they are also a contemporary problem. Strongholds take up lots of space, so it is very important to correctly define their utility functions according to requirements.
State of the remaining fortress infrastructure in the Nysa Commune is under satisfying. Advancing degradation and vandalism make Nysa’s fortifications unsuitable for jobs creation.
The Commune’s initiative of revitalizing and promoting Nysa’s fortifications includes finding contemporary substance for old forms and spatial structures, as well adapting old architecture for demands of modern life, which in turn is to enrich the tourist and cultural offer of the region and extending the tourist season.
For the years 2005-2013 the following endeavours are planned:
1. Revitalizing the Water Fort.
2. Revitalizing St. Hedwig’s Bastion.
3. Connecting the Water Fort dike with Nysa Klodzka’s embankment.
4. Revitalizing Town Park sections adjoining the Water Fort with a three-level system of moats, canals, floodgates and ponds.
5. Revitalizing the fortress’ Pressure Tower.